NTA Teaching Excellence Awards
The NTA Award for Teaching Excellence was initiated in 2014 by the Nunavut Teachers’ Association:
• to recognize outstanding Nunavut teachers
• to honour creative, innovative and effective teaching
• to distinguish exemplar service
• to focus public attention on the teaching profession and
• to involve Nunavumiut in celebrating teaching excellence.
Excellence in Teaching Awards Categories:
• Program and Instruction
• Extra-Curricular Leadership
• Community Engagement
• Language and Culture
• Student Advocacy and Welfare
Excellence in Teaching Awards Recognition:
• One NTA Award for Teaching Excellence will be selected each year
• Eligible nominees receive certificates of nomination
• Regional finalists will receive certificates of recognition
• NTA Award for Teaching Excellence recipient will receive a certificate and item of distinction
• NTA Award for Teaching Excellence recipient will be honoured at a banquet during NTA AMCC in Iqaluit.
• NTA Award for Teaching Excellence recipient will be awarded a $1000 PD Bursary to be used to support the member’s Professional Development goals. The PD Bursary will be allocated from the NTA General Fund, and will follow policies found in the Professional Development Resource Book. The award recipient may defer the PD Bursary for a period of up to two years.
2014 – Becky Tootoo, Jonah Amitnaaq Secondary School, Baker Lake, NU
2015 – Co-Winners – Rebecca Hainnu, Quluaq School, Clyde River, NU & Mary Piercey, Inuksuk High School, Iqaluit, NU