Nunavut Teachers’ Association
Assistant Executive Director
The Nunavut Teachers’ Association (NTA) is a professional organization of approximately
850 teachers who work within Nunavut’s publicly funded K-12 school system. NTA is
seeking an educational leader to join its team in the pivotal role of Assistant Executive
Director. This position is a full-time indeterminate position effective September 01, 2020.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Assistant Executive Director is a key member of
the NTA leadership team.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced educational leader who is:
• a strong advocate for teacher well-being, professional growth and high-quality,
culturally relevant, publicly funded public education;
• knowledgeable in activities associated with a professional teacher organization
including, but not limited to, labour relations, negotiations, collective agreement
interpretation, and professional development;
• able to deliver quality programs and services to NTA members;
• a collaborative leader who has administered programs successfully and worked
with colleagues in effective, respectful and inspiring ways;
• familiar with teacher organizations throughout Canada;
• experienced in human resources, strategic planning, program development,
program implementation, and program evaluation;
• committed to respond to the direction of NTA’s Central Executive Committee and
Central Council, while working with partner organizations and government
• an outstanding communicator;
• a resourceful, creative and strategic thinker, able to make sound decisions under
extreme pressures including financial restraints;
• highly organized;
• eager to be part of the NTA leadership team.
Responsibilities will include:
• offering excellent advice and guidance to the Executive Director and, as called
upon, to the President, Central Executive Committee and Central Council;
• assisting with report writing, task and project coordination, implementation of
governance decisions at the direction of the Executive Director;
• leading or coordinating projects, initiatives, meetings, committees and
• researching and communicating educational issues, legislative trends, policies and
other legal references governing education in Nunavut;
• extensive travel throughout the territory and nationally to represent our members
at sessions directly related to the scope of one’s assignment.
Fluency in the Inuktut language would be considered a definite asset.
This position offers a competitive salary starting at $127,000 and a Northern Living
Allowance for the city of Iqaluit of $15,016. The competitive compensation package
includes excellent benefits. The successful candidate will receive an annual Pension
Benefit equivalent to 9.5% of base salary. Subsidized housing is available if required.
Your interest in this position is appreciated and all qualified individuals are encouraged to
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your application in confidence, including cover letter, resume and two
professional references, not later than 5:00 p.m. EST, Friday, March 06, 2020, to:
Nunavut Teachers’ Association
P.O. Box 2458
Iqaluit, Nunavut, X0A 0H0